Saturday, August 4, 2007

Brett Ratner -- The Orson Welles of Our Time

I think Rob left Los Angeles just in time. The week that Bergman and Antonioni died, the LA Weekly had Brett Ratner on its cover:

Which brings me to the other reason I’ve wanted to write about Ratner. It is an idea that may initially strike you as radical or preposterous, and which could jeopardize my standing in the film-criticism community. And yet, here goes: Brett Ratner is a talented filmmaker who deserves to be taken seriously ...What I am proposing is simply that Ratner excels at a kind of highly enjoyable, wholly unpretentious entertainment that isn’t nearly as easy to manufacture as it seems; that he is a singular personality; and that, unlike many Hollywood flavors-of-the-month, he is most definitely here to stay. In fact, he’s just getting started.


He adds:

And what of Rush Hour 3? I’m happy to report that it is everything one could hope a movie with that title would be.


Weren't were talking about the death of film criticism earlier?

1 comment:

DMO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.